Holistic Renewal
This past week has been filled with a lot of blessings and busyness. Classes two nights a week (and soon to be three), plus all associated readings and homework have been pretty draining. Most of it is self-inflicted since I've found myself in overachiever mode, which is kinda strange since I've never really been an overachiever, or really much of an achiever in my life. Part of it stems from the issues written in the last post, but a lot of it actually is driven by the sheer enjoyment of it all. I think I might have found something that I enjoy doing and derive satisfaction from. It's just too bad that I didn't really seek to develop the creativity in my life earlier.
When I reflect back on my life, I figured I never really had that much creativity. I wasn't really into listening to music, I never had (and still don't) any style when it comes to fashion sense, was never into art, and I really can't draw. (I couldn't win a pictionary game if my life depended on it). The whole creative scene never appealed to me.
I'm finding that as I grow in my walk in the Lord, I've been able to see things in myself that I never thought were possible. I consider myself a intense introvert, and when I was growing up I was probably the shyest kid in the class. I hated being in front of people, oral book reports, and piano recitals. I was uncomfortable initiating conversation and really couldn't hold one that well for that matter. I still struggle with a lot of these things, but as I walked in the Spirit, I could see the Lord's hand in sanctifying me as a whole person.
I came to know the Lord in college, and I considered myself the least likely candidate for evangelism. With my inability to even hold a conversation, the thought of me sharing the gospel with people, --and particularly strangers-- was laughable. But whether it was a supernatural boldness or something else, something in me had changed. And for the first time I realized the power of the gospel was not just unto salvation, but for redeeming our entire person into the image of Jesus Christ. Through helping out with outreach in college, to engaging in contact evangelism, I knew God was renewing me in special ways to magnify Him in my life for I knew these were not a natural desires.
Though I still struggle immensely with pride and insecurity issues, the Lord has taught me to slowly let these insecurities go and give them to Him. There is so much power in meditating the end goal of God for man ... in that He is changing us into the likeness of His Son. Christ wasn't just perfect in His morals and actions, but He demonstrated His perfection in all areas of His life. Socially, emotionally, physically, He was the exact representation of the Father and that encourages me to no end that in this life He is seeking the same for us.
I think we tend to isolate our social, emotional, and personality from our spirituality for we think that they aren't part of what really matters. We think, oh I'm just socially inept and that's the way I'll always be. But I think God wants us to think past that ... to understand that the gospel is renewing the whole of the inner man. Though we struggle in the flesh here, I rejoice in the sanctification that the Spirit leads us in, and look forward to the day where we will all be changed in the twinkling of an eye.
Another praise/prayer note: For these many years of praying for and seeking to minister to my unsaved parents, they have the desire to God to church! This is especially a work of God since my father is very hostile to religion in general. Though I believe they are going for more social reasons, may God use the love of the church to bring them into the Kingdom. We'll be taking a small hiatus from our fellowship to visit with my parents, and help forge relationships with them there.Thanks be to God!


1 Comments:
Yeah, God has a tendency to change us from the people we thought we are into people different in some surprising areas.
Btw, this might have been an intentional typo, but in your last paragraph, you said that your parents have a "desire to God to church!" Either way, it makes sense :-).
6:41 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home